So what are some benefits of exercise?
- improved body composition via increased muscle mass and decreased body fat. This is especially true as we age and begin to lose muscle mass. Resistance training can help us maintain/build muscle mass, which in turn increases our metabolism so we can burn more fat. In addition, increased muscle mass can keep us strong which can then reduce our risk of falls and injuries.
- decreased risk of heart disease. Exercise can decrease blood pressure (although blood pressure will increase during exercise, it tends to lower blood pressure over the rest of the day) and lower cholesterol levels.
- it helps to maintain bone density (especially resistance training)
- increased energy levels
- improved mood. Exercise has been found to decrease feelings of depression, anxiety and stress, decrease pain and increase production of endorphins, which make you feel good!
- increased insulin sensitivity and decreased risk of Diabetes.
- it sensitizes your tissue to thyroid hormone
- improved focus and concentration
- improved sleep
- increased sex drive
- improved self confidence
So how much exercise is suggested?